[Clark C. Evans]
> It seems Petter is arguing that he might be able to "work around"
> the copyright law by only translating a small piece at a time and
> then assembling the translated pieces.

The most important argument is not this, but the fact that that there
is no terms of service for http://freetranslation.mobi stating
otherwise, make me assume this service is following the law and
license of the texts it is given.

If I ask a random person on the street to translate a GPLed text
fragment, and the person give me a translated text fragment back, will
the resulting text fragment still be GPLed?  Assuming the text
fragment was copyrightable in the first place, I believe it will be,
as otherwise the translator would be said to violate the GPL and I
fail to see what action involved could possibly violate the GPL.

Instead of a random person, I hand it to http://freetranslation.mobi.

You seem to claim that I would not get a GPLed text fragment back
because the random person ask his friend for help with the
translation, and there might exist a agreement between the random
person and his friend that allow the friend to violate the GPL.  I
believe such agreements are irrelevant for me.  If such agreement
exist between the two, they would be the ones violating the GPL, not
me, and we could sue them for GPL violatins if we wanted to.

Did I misunderstand your argument?

You also seem to assume that Google Translate is involved when
http://freetranslation.mobi is translating text.  I do not know if
this is the case, and you have not presented anything making me
believe you know this either.

> I suggest that the developer may want to *contact* Google tell them
> what you wish.  They may be willing to accept the input under the
> terms of the GPL and produce output under those same terms.
> Especially if the output is reviewed and alternative, corrective
> phrase translations submitted back to Google under terms which they
> could use to improve their translation service.

Given that I do not intend to use Google Translate, I fail to see how
contacting Google to ask about http://freetranslation.mobi is
interesting.  Just asking might be seen as slanter against
http://freetranslation.mobi, as it involves claiming that
http://freetranslation.mobi is breaking the copyright law.  As I said
above, I assume http://freetranslation.mobi follow the law until
proven otherwise.