I am truly sorry I do not have the time to address the other points at this
time, and I will try to do so as soon as I can (which is hopefully not earlier
than two weeks from now).

Either way, there is one point that is reasonably easy to comment on. I will
do so now, if you will excuse me from the apparently selective argument.

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 09:23:39PM -0400, Clark C. Evans wrote:
> It seems Petter is arguing that he might be able to "work around"
> the copyright law by only translating a small piece at a time and
> then assembling the translated pieces.  I'm skeptical of this logic,
> since it doesn't consider the intent of the effort and the work as
> a whole. Phrases in a creative composition such as a manual arn't
> a set of independent facts that can be treated individually.

Actually, regardless of intent, I reinforce the original premise that
copyright protects the intellectual, creative work of an individual. That
might indeed be an issue considering your other point (that someone
necessarily arranged for a certain array of words to be combined at
translation time, which would be considered creative translation work).

However, I would say that is not a problem if your translating one word or
very small expressions at a time, for the sole reason that the creative
effort that materializes in a particular way of combining different words
varying with the context would then be absent. Google thankfully cannot hold
copyright for the dictionary meaning of words, so we could be protected if
the service is used with caution.

On second thought, the person engaging in software translation in Debian or
anywhere else is expected (or so I hope) not to simply copy & paste the
translation, but to exercise judgment on the result etc. The difference starts
to become a little fuzzy at this point, at least in my opinion, and we would
only have a greater degree of certainty when backed up by case law of the
jurisdiction relevant to each case, but I consider it fair to compare that
more to the research of a translator which is creating material subject to
his own copyright (in analysing the usual meanings of foreign words) than to
a derivative work to the automated translation that whatever.mobi got from
Google Translator.

This - mainly the last paragraph - is much more brainstorming than anything
else and shall not be relied upon as legal advice. Rebuttal is also very much
welcome.

Cheers,

Guilherme Pastore
gpast...@debian.org