Colin Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> However, I do think image-file-in-usr-lib ought to be downgraded to an
> informative message. It's the sort of thing that bites in all sorts of
> random packages (see
> http://lintian.debian.org/reports/Timage-file-in-usr-lib.html) and is
> typically fiddly and varied to deal with, and a lot of the images
> involved are little things like icons where the effort doesn't really
> justify the gain; if they were embedded into executables, we likely
> wouldn't care.

> It's been a while since I was particularly involved in lintian
> maintenance, so I don't feel that I can change this unilaterally. What
> do the other lintian maintainers think of my position?

This is really a broader question than just lintian.  Packages have been
rejected by ftp-master for things like this before, and it doesn't do
people any good for us to relax our warning if ftp-master is still going
to reject packages.

It does look like the FHS gives us leeway to put arch-independent files
into /usr/lib at the discretion of the packager, so as near as I can tell
this isn't a direct policy violation.  But I'd really like to see some
debian-devel or debian-policy discussion of this and some opinion from
ftp-master about what level they're willing to enforce before we make a
change.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>