On Sat, Mar 24, 2007 at 03:04:03PM +0100, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
> Colin Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying that we should fail to fix bugs just
> > because "it's too much effort". Nor am I saying that the effort expended
> > so far on moving files to /usr/share is wasted; hierarchies such as
> > /usr/share/doc, /usr/share/fonts, and /usr/share/man are a very
> > substantial win on heterogeneous shared systems. However, I do think
> > that we're rapidly approaching diminishing returns on this. When the
> > lintian warning is for a single image file in /usr/lib that requires
> > fiddly build system changes to move (or fragile hacks in debian/ that
> > would be liable to break on each new upstream version), I question
> > whether this is a sensible use of developer time, and I question whether
> > it really buys anything for administrators of heterogeneous systems.
>
> I think that Debian's commitment to policies, even if it is hard work to
> adhere to them, is one of the few things that Debian still has as
> an advantage over other distributions. I don't see why we should stop to
> nag maintainers to work on these issues.

I'm not opposed to this, but frankly I think that this is a stupid
policy, at least when taken to this extent. Adherence to stupid policies
isn't an advantage. (I do not think this about most of Debian's
policies; this is an exception.)

> Anyway, as Russ said, this is not an issue that should be decided
> without having a discussion somewhere else, but I have to admit that I'm
> against such a change.

Fair enough.

--
Colin Watson                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]