>> Just one random example:
>> I: cython source: build-depends-without-arch-dep quilt
>
> lintian already will allow (and even require) quilt to be in Build-Depends
> because of this.  This looks like a specific problem with lintian's
> understanding of this package, but cython doesn't appear to be in the
> archive, so I can't check what's going on with it.

It just went trough new
ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/c/cython/

> How is the debian/rules file written?  lintian looks for both the include
> of the quilt makefile fragment and for calling quilt explicitly during the
> clean target.

I think the problem is that debian/rules is written using cdbs and does
not use /usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/patchsys-quilt.mk, but handles the quilt
manually instead. I'll ask the maintainer if he really needs to do that
for some reason, or if using patchsys-quilt.mk instead would be fine for
him. So I'm not really sure if this bugreport was unnecessary noise, or
if lintian should indeed not complain here.
Probably it would make sense to check the clean: and clean:: targets in
debian/rules

--
Bernd Zeimetz
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                         <http://bzed.de/>