Paul Wise <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Debian GNOME no longer shows the Debian menu by default, users have to
> set the Debian item in the menu to visible to get it.
>
> In my opinion the Debian-specific menu should be phased out in favour of
> the cross-distro freedesktop menu, with a transition like what is
> mentioned in #431118.

I wish you the best of luck resolving this, but I'm not willing to touch
that debate with a ten-foot pole, given the flamewar that happened on
debian-devel the last time.  (At least with my Lintian maintainer hat on;
it might be appropriate for Policy.)

> For these two reasons I would like lintian to warn/info when there is a
> Debian menu file in the package, but not a freedesktop menu file.

My understanding is that the GNOME maintainers don't want every package
with a Debian menu file to have a freedesktop.org menu file (if they did,
they wouldn't have disabled the Debian menu).

I'm happy to have lintian implement the results of any project consensus,
but my impression is that we currently don't have one.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>