Paul Wise <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 19:42 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> My understanding is that the GNOME maintainers don't want every package
>> with a Debian menu file to have a freedesktop.org menu file (if they
>> did, they wouldn't have disabled the Debian menu).

> I don't understand why they would want different menus.

My understanding is that they felt that many of the things in the Debian
menu are inappropriate and shouldn't be in a menu for a graphical
desktop.  (Particularly a lot of the stuff that runs in an xterm.)

>> I'm happy to have lintian implement the results of any project
>> consensus, but my impression is that we currently don't have one.

> Thanks for the info, guess this is something to file in the "wish Debian
> could do it, but we probably never will" bucket.

I'm not sure it's that hopeless, and I'm having a bad evening, so I'm
being more pessimistic than I should be.  I was more trying to say that
this isn't really something I think Lintian can do in isolation and it
probably requires a debian-devel thread and some additional discussion to
work out a consensus on where to go.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>