Hey again, I have managed to at least figure out the cause of the issue.

The package user-setup, which is recommended for live-config, is the culprit
here.

If you run lb config with --apt-recommends true, this package will
automatically be installed, since you need live-config in your package list for
the build.

I tested by using --apt-recommends false and building with and without
specifically installing user-setup.

If the user-setup package is installed, and you have files bigger than 1-2GB in
your includes.chroot folder, there will be a start job regarding late user
space at boot, running for at least 30 sec to 2 min.

If the package is not installed, booting works flawlessly without any start
jobs, however you cannot login anymore, because no user/password has been
assigned, due to the lack of user-setup.

I have unsuccessfully tried to fix this by both simply using --bootappend-live
to assign a username and a livehook that creates one with adduser.

The default user / live name/password combo does not work, though.

Not sure if this is a bug, but I will report back after I know more.