On 11/26/2016 01:59 AM, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> On 11/11/2016 0826:45 AM, Christian Seiler wrote:
>> pbuilder sets the home directory of the pbuilder user to /nonexistent
>> to make sure that builds don't modify files in the home directory,
>> which is forbidden by Debian Policy (for good reason builds are not
>> supposed to change things outside the build directory).
>
> Could you point me to this policy?  I'd like to learn more, but haven't
> been able to find it.

I just checked and it really isn't in there. OTOH, there have been
bug reports with severity serious about this issue since forever;
a quick search randomly gave me the following reports within 1
minute, and then I stopped looking:

My guess is that it probably never got added to policy because
autobuilders fail with similar errors as pbuilder does, so
packages that violate this FTBFS, which is an automatic RC bug,
regardless of policy. And probably also because most people
find this principle so obvious.

Btw. notable exception is /tmp (or $TMPDIR, if that's set), as
long as there is cleanup afterwards. Many compilers tend to use
/tmp for temporary files. (gcc does by default unless you
specify -pipe.)

> Two probably naive questions:
>
> 1) Why? (I can imagine reasons, but don't want to assume that I know)

Well, because of side effects. Suppose you want to fix a bug in
a package you're using, and there is some patch already available
online, and you just want to rebuild the package with that patch
included, but you don't really understand all details of the
entire build system etc. of the package (even though you might
understand the patch itself) - what if the package then just
modifies configuration in your home directory? Or installs stuff
there? What if your home directory has limited space available
and you're building on a different partition - but then suddenly
the partition with your home directory is full just because of a
package build that has side effects.

There are tons of reasons why builds should be self-contained,
and I think this is something that should IMHO be very obvious.

Also, this is a good practice irrespective of Debian, upstream
packages should do the same in principle. (And most do.) Now in
the case of build systems that have a feature to automatically
download dependencies this is a bit more complicated (because
the user might want that feature), so I understand why upstream
might deviate from that principle in this specific case. [1]
But in general at least I see no reason for any build system to
not be self-contained within the source directory of the package.
(Technically, if the system supports out of tree builds, as
many traditional systems such as automake or cmake do, it should
even be contained in the build directory only and not modify the
source directory at all.)

> 2) Is there a common pattern for handling upstream tests that break this
> rule?  Maybe there's an alternative to disabling them?

If upstream tests do that, I would suggest sending a patch
upstream that fixes them, because especially for tests I
would consider this a bug.

That said, if tests just require stuff in the home directory
you could set the HOME environment variable to a temporary
directory within the build tree before you run the tests, to
work around this kind of problem. Nevertheless I would consider
those tests buggy and would want to patch them.

If you could give a couple of examples of what exactly you're
thinking of, maybe my answer could be more specific.

Regards,
Christian

[1] But even there I dislike this. I don't think running a build
should install stuff. I could get behind a build system having a
separate command line command for downloading the dependencies
automatically that the user could explicitly call if required,
and maybe a combined command for doing both at the same time,
but I do think that a command to "just build, and fail if deps
not available" should be easily available in any sane build
system, for various reasons. (The famous "dissident test", but
even more trivial things such as being behind a metered
connection.)