Barry,

Figuring out how to package for Debian has a stiff learning curve (speaking as
someone
who is going through the process myself).

There are a couple of website that collect links to information that might be
useful to you.

https://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers/[1]

https://wiki.debian.org/Packaging[2]

The references that I personally found most helpful were there following:

https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/developers-reference[3]
(Install the package and then read /usr/share/developers-reference/developers-
reference.pdf)

https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/maint-guide[4]
(Install the package and then read
/usr/share/doc/maint-guide/maint-guide.en.pdf)

Note that this document is considered outdated and replaced by
https://www.debian.org/
doc/manuals/debmake-doc/index.en.html[5] but I found it to be a more useful
read, even
though they share an author.  You will discover that almost all Debian
documentation is
outdated, because writing documentation is almost always less exciting than
writing code.
So, you almost always have to adjust anyway.

Also, if you decide to use Git, definitely check out the git-buildpackage
documentation:

https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/git-buildpackage[6]
(Install the package and then read /usr/share/doc/git-buildpackage/manual-html/
index.html)