Hi Gregor,

Am Tue, Sep 19, 2023 at 04:53:52PM +0200 schrieb gregor herrmann:
> That's from apt:
>
> apt (2.7.4) unstable; urgency=medium
> …
>   * Only accept installs of usrmerge on unmerged-usr systems.
>     As of bookworm, merged-usr is mandatory, and people got caught
>     in the crosshairs of the dpkg fsys-unmessusr debacle and inadvertently
>     reverted back to an unmerged configuration and continue to remain
>     on an unsupported system unknowingly.

OK.

> Looks like your chroot is not /usr-merged; no idea why installing the usrmerge
> package didn't and doesn't change it.
>
> > Do you have any hints?  If not, what further information should I
> > provide? (logs etc?)
>
> Just for comparison my (unstable) chroot looks /usr-merged:
>
> % ll /var/cache/pbuilder/base.cow
> lrwxrwxrwx  2 root root    7 Sep 18  2022 bin -> usr/bin
> …

I confirm that /var/cache/pbuilder/base.cow/bin was no symlink but
just the old /bin dir.

> Maybe try to login in:
> cowbuilder --login --save-after-login [--basepath /some/where]
> and reconfigure usrmerge, or something?

I did so and usrmerge was installed but somehow it seems it was not
doing its job.

I simply created a new chroot via

   sudo cowbuilder --create

and it works now.  So may be this thread is simply some warning that
usrmerge might fail.

Kind regards
     Andreas.

--