On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 06:23:17PM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 12:44:47PM +0100, Tony Houghton wrote:
> > Did you miss the <number of commits after it> bit? I think that makes it
> > ideal provided each release is tagged with its version number.
>
> Because tags aren't globally unique.  Since you yourself said that tags
> weren't suitable, in and of themselves, when I proposed it, I can't imagine
> how a tag plus a commit count is of any use.  The addition of a hash doesn't
> help, for the non-sortable reason I gave.

Tags are unique in all even marginally sane projects.  They may at most be
limited to a certain group of people -- usually, upstream won't have your
tags but you will have theirs.

The reasons new tags are unsuitable are:
* upstream or people pulling from upstream won't have them, so the tags
  would be meaningless
* he is looking for versioning that works in an automated way.  There's
  no reason to add tags that have no other use than attaching them to
  a single build.  In general, "tag" means "release", the --describe thing
  is there to help with versioning between releases.

--
1KB             // Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
                //      Never attribute to stupidity what can be