Hello, I am new here. Be gentle.

What I would Like to do:

a. create a .deb from a directory of 3rd party paid software.

b. be able to install the .deb on debian server.

I have looked at all the documentation I could stand about howto go
about it, seems rather complicated, and I'm sure it is, however, I would
simply like to do a. above. I have gotten as far as created by hand some
files, fiddled with dh-make, became interested in debhelper, considering
checkinstall, the list goes on,,, as you can see I am confused...

Some of the programs are java installed and stem from rpm's or at least
built for redhat/centos systems.

I am skilled with linux/unix and cmd line in general, and should be able
to understand your suggestions, and I am able to install packages no
prob, but to do the reverse ya know, I would like some mentoring.

Could someone point me in the right direction? got links? something
clean, easy and not too complicated for starters to get things rolling..

Got links? Suggestions? all are welcomed...

Thanks.

AO