Hello,

On Fri, 04 Aug 2017, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> So I have been wondering several times whether we should move the
> maintainer information elsewhere.  For example, tracker.d.o could be
> extended to record maintainer information.  It could also understand
> the concept of "teams" listing team members and whom to send mails
> about individual packages.

Yes, that's entirely in the scope that I intended to give to
tracker.debian.org. As Paul already pointed out, I started a
DEP on this a long time ago (altough it's broader in scope):
http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep2/

> For legacy purposes, the Maintainer field would then list ${source}@tra
> cker.d.o and the Uploaders field could be removed.

While storing the maintainer information in tracker is far from being
done, I actually worked on various steps to make it possible to have
a generic maintainer address like "<source>@packages.debian.org" (like I
ensured that the packages.debian.org email aliases do not include
packages.debian.org email addresses to avoid loops [1]).

I think the only missing step is some sort of logic to drop duplicate
emails that we would currently get through the tracker if we do not change
anything in dak or the BTS or other scripts that are currently mailing
both the maintainer and the tracker directly.

In the future, I would like to be able to also use “team+...@tracker.debian.org“
so that it's automatically tagged as being part of the corresponding team
and so that the associated mails are sent to the team subscribers. But
here again we have quite some work to do.

FWIW, I just tried to use z...@packages.debian.org as maintainer for my zim
package, we will see if my analysis is right and if I only get a few
duplicates. We will have to fix lintian too because I just see this:

E: zim source: maintainer-address-causes-mail-loops-or-bounces Zim Package
Maintainers <z...@packages.debian.org>

And the tag is not overridable and it's fatal for dak. Ansgar, do you
feel like disabling that auto-reject tag temporarily so that I can upload my
test package ?

Cheers,

[1]
https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/webwml/packages.git/commit/?h=debian-master&id=5f4f27920e996e521d32dfb5a9693a09348d18d5