Markus Koschany wrote:

> as discussed on debian-devel [1] I would like to request that more DFSG
> licenses are added to /usr/share/common-licenses and that package
> maintainers are allowed to reference them.
>
> License: EPL-1.0
> Source: https://www.eclipse.org/legal/epl-v10.html
> Example packages:
> https://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses#Eclipse_Public_License_-_1.0

I'm ambivalent on this one.  No strong objection but it seems likely
that small installations could benefit from not having to have this
license text.

I'm wondering if we should split some common licenses out of
base-files to avoid this kind of dilemma.  E.g. if there were some
base-files-eclipse package that provided the EPL-1.0 and we allowed
packages to depend on base-files-eclipse to avoid having to ship the
EPL in their own copyright file, then this dilemma wouldn't exist.
The hypothetical base-files-eclipse package might need to be marked in
some appropriate way to simplify following the spirit of licenses
(just like people know to treat base-files specially and distribute
the license texts from it alongside Debian source packages they
distribute).

Thanks,
Jonathan