Quoting Hideki Yamane (2023-09-10 11:00:07)
> On Sat, 09 Sep 2023 22:41:48 -0700
> Russ Allbery <r...@debian.org> wrote:
> > >  How about just pointing SPDX licenses URL for whole license text and
> > >  lists DFSG-free licenses from that? (but yes, we should adjust short
> > >  name of licenses for DEP-5 and SPDX for it).
> >
> > Can we do this legally?  If we can, it certainly has substantial merits,
> > but I'm not sure that this satisfies the requirement in a lot of licenses
> > to distribute a copy of the license along with the work.  Some licenses
> > may allow that to be provided as a URL, but I don't think they all do
> > (which makes sense since people may receive Debian on physical media and
> > not have Internet access).
>
>  Hmm, how about providing license-common package and that depends on
>  "license-common-list", and ISO image provides both, then? It would be
>  no regressions.
>

>  I expect license-common-list data as below
>
>  license-short-name: URL
>  GPL-2: file:///usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2
>  Boost-1.0: https://spdx.org/licenses/BSL-1.0.html

Ah, so what you propose is to use file URIs.

I guess Russ' response above was a concern over using http(s) URIs
towards a non-local resource.

What I practice since some years is the following syntax:

Files: foo/bar
Copyright:
  2022  Someone
License: Apache-2.0 or Expat

License: Apache-2.0
Reference: /usr/share/common-licenses/Apache-2.0

License: Expat
 [the full contents of the Expat license]

That syntax introduces a new field "Reference" (our copyright file
format permits new fields, despite lintian complaining about it).
Related discussion is at https://bugs.debian.org/786450

 - Jonas

 * Sponsorship: https://ko-fi.com/drjones