The more general-purpose the "live" system can be the better.  Ideally, it
should be possible to boot from the live CD/DVD, while at the same time having
a specially formatted USB stick inserted which would provide "persistent"
storage for the booted system -- leaving the disk drive(s) of the system
untouched and available for whatever work you want to do with them (e.g. backup
and recovery.)  The "grml" live boot for i386/amd64 is a great example of what
I'd like.

Rick