Hello Adrian,

On 3/26/2024 5:10 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

I can't go into the details right now due to lack of time, but you should
first check whether your machine is still supported by the Linux kernel.

I know that IBM engineers dropped support for many of their own PowerPC
machines in the Linux kernel unlike Apple PowerMacs, so chances might be
that your machine is no longer supported and you would have to stick to
an older kernel.

I'll dive into researching the kernel support further when I have some time. I do know that 2.6 runs on it since that is what it is booted to under SUSE 10, so maybe I'm stuck with an older kernel but could migrate to an equally old Debian 3 which would at least get me off of RPM based systems entirely. :)

Your 43-P150 system is listed here:

https://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/inst/install

Apparently, there were custom installation floppy disks for this machine.

I did find the supported machines list and the dead links but hadn't found working links, so many thanks for pointing me to updated ones. This sounds virtually identical to what my notes from 2010 say / what I remember about getting SUSE on it in the first place. There were specific floppy images that you HAD to use to get the install going. Glad I still have actual floppy disks brand new in the box here!

Looks like I now have my weekend project lined up for me. Thanks again!

-Bill