On Sat 11 Sep 2021 at 15:48:42 +0200, Florent Rougon wrote:

> Hello,

Hello Florent,

Thank you for your contribution to this report.

> I also had the not-very-helpful message from CUPS:

The message is actually from cups-browsed.

>   No destination host name supplied by cups-browsed for printer, is
>   cups-browsed running?
>
> Of course, cups-browsed was well running and I even tried to restart it,
> also cups.service, etc. The solution I found, before reading this
> report, was inspired by this answer:
>
>   https://askubuntu.com/a/1128869
>
> Here it is. First some context: the printer is connected to <hostnameA>
> and printing from <hostnameB> first worked, then failed for the *very
> same document* in the *very same Okular instance*---I simply wanted to
> print two sets of pages from the same document, oh my...
>
> Solution (everything done on <hostnameB>):
>
> 1) I purged the cups-browsed package, even though cups-daemon recommends
>    it.

cups-browsed basically provides *auto-setup* of printers and print
queues. Many users apprreciate this function. But, of course, it
may be purged. I often do not use it, but would not dream of advising
other users to do the same, although, like you. I might suggest it.

> 2) Then I figured out I needed to do “Delete Printer” from the CUPS web
>    administration page for the printer (otherwise, trying to do step 3
>    would fail with the incomprehensible error message “Unable to add
>    printer:Cannot change printer-is-shared for remote queues.”—that,
>    regardless of whether “Share printer” was being checked).
>
> 3) From the CUPS web administration page:
>
>    Administration → Add Printer → Discovered Network Printers: Brother
>    DCP-L2550DN (driverless) @ <hostnameA> (DCP-L2550DN DCP-L2550DN
>    series) → ... → Add Printer (the button).
>
> Finally, I was able to print from <hostnameB>.
>
> Even though this solution is quite different from that proposed by
> Gabriel, this may very well be the same issue, because now that I've
> found this report, I see that my /var/log/syslog on <hostnameB> from
> before the fix has entries like:

This solution involves setting up a printer manually. It is perfectly
acceptable.

> Sep 11 13:39:09 localhost kernel: [15658.624326] audit: type=1400 audit(...):
> apparmor="DENIED" operation="capable" profile="/usr/sbin/cupsd" pid=6811
> comm="cupsd" capability=12  capname="net_admin"

OK.

> Sep 11 13:39:09 localhost kernel: [15658.718083] audit: type=1400 audit(...):
> apparmor="DENIED" operation="capable" profile="/usr/sbin/cups-browsed"
> pid=6814 comm="cups-browsed" capability=23  capname="sys_nice"

I wouldn't expect this line after cups-browsed has been purged. There
isn't an apparmor profile to use.

> Hope this helps other people. Regards,

It does.

--