Josselin Mouette <j...@debian.org> writes:
> Le jeudi 10 septembre 2009 à 00:57 +0100, Steve McIntyre a écrit :

>> 1 New hardware / equipment
>>
>>    a The DSA team have a wishlist of new hardware they'd like […]

> Full ack. Hardware is not that expensive, lack of hardware should not
> hold back any of our development.

Wholeheartedly agreed.

>> b Maintainers of big packages might benefit a lot if we can
>>      loan/donate big machines to them to make things faster. Should
>>      be an easy thing to work out - nominate such people please!

> We could also think of hardware for some specific tasks. We would need
> too much for the kernel team, but for example, wouldn’t Xorg developers
> win from having one graphics card from each major series from the main
> hardware vendors?

Also wholeheartedly agreed.  I think the project could benefit a lot from
buying that sort of hardware (stuff in the $100 to $400 range) for
maintainers who are maintaining high-visibility packages that require it
for testing.  Video cards are an obvious one, as would be some RAID
controllers.  I'm sure others can think of other ideas.

> We could already make more use of the SPI legal advice. There have been
> quite a number of cases where we did not have enough expertise, and
> where we were left in the dark.

Yes.  There have been several lingering questions over copyright
requirements and the like that it would be nice to have resolved.

I'd rather spend money on hardware, on legal advice on issues related to
the project, and on targeted developer meetings than on things like
marketing or direct development.  I think those are places where we know
how to spend money effectively, whereas the latter are not.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>