Quoting Adrian Bunk (2020-08-14 18:33:06)
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 09:23:58PM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> > >
> > >I don't think someone could possibly be prosecuted for using a fake
> > >passport to obtain a gpg signature.  Especially with the link
> > >between meeting a DD many months earlier and that criminal betrayal
> > >being so tenuous.
> >
> > It's clearly fraudulent under at least UK law. I'm sure it would
> > also be elsewhere. You might struggle to get police to pick up the
> > *case*, but...
>
> This does not even matter when there are DDs who sign keys with fake
> names that are not printed on any (real or fake) government
> documents...

Seems we are talking about several things here:

 a) trusting an identity _without_ relying on governmental proof

 b) proving an identity using fake governmental proof

It is my understanding that a) is illegal and punishable in many legal
jurisdictions.

It is my understanding that b) is currently tolerated in Debian but only
exceptionally, and we are currently discussing if we should tolerate it
more generally.

I do believe that a) matters for Debian in discussing b), because the
risk of punishment is an expense, and the more expensive it is to twist
and bend rules the more likely those rules are followed and can
therefore be trusted.

 - Jonas