On Wednesday 11 September 2002 15:00, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Neil Schemenauer writes:
> > Matthias Klose wrote:
> > >
> > > I do not mind passing the maintainership, but I do mind keeping it in
> > > unstable.
> >
> > I don't think it is up to individual Debian developers to decide what
> > packages should be allowed in Debian.
>
> ??? Interisting. So I am allowed to package perl3, quichote-0.1 and
> marlais 0.5?

If you wanted to and could make sure it did not break anything, why not.  I
could definately see something like this making sense in a corporate setting.
A Debian devel may not be allowed to upgrade some of their boxes and it would
be easier to use foo X.Y on all platforms than deal with the compatibility.

This is also why it makes sense to keep python1.5 around.  As Moshe points out
python1.5 is still the python most RH users get and it is way too easy to let
a 2.x ism into your code.  Hell on a python list this morning I was reminded
that a solution I proposed only works in 2.2.1+.