On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 08:19:49AM +1000, Donovan Baarda wrote:
| On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 08:13:23AM +1200, Carey Evans wrote:

| > It also makes it easier for users to modify if a Python package's
| > dependencies are incorrect, and it stops compiling under a newer version
| > of Python, making the whole dpkg run fail.
|
| This is an interesting issue I hadn't considered. However, I can't see how
| seperate compilation scripts do a better job of avoiding this problem than
| dpkg-reconfigure.

If there's a malfunctioning script in /somewhere that I can insert
    exit 0 ;
or
    import sys ; sys.exit( 0 )
at the top, then as a user/admin I can sidestep the installation
error.  If the logic is tucked away in the bowels of some other
program, it isn't as trivial to hack around.

(I don't have a position on this issue, though, I'm just sorta lurking
on the discussions)

-D

--
But As for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.
        Joshua 24:15

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/