On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 02:05:32AM +1000, Donovan Baarda wrote:
> The reason I said site-packages is the _right_ way, is it makes mailman
> modules usable from other applications. However, I agree that we shouldn't
> _require_ application specific modules to be in site-packages, particularly
> when upstream don't package that way. As you pointed out there are plenty of
> good reasons not to put stuff in site-packages.

just as an example, i am working on packaging spyce [1], and it does not
put any of its module files in a directory like mailman does. thus all
of the scripts using those module file would have to be changed from:

 import spyceModule

to something like:

 from spyce import spyceModule

which is not a fun change to have to make.

> Is there any cases you can think of where 'dpkg -L <python-foo> | grep *.py'
> will not be sufficient to identify the files to be "registered"?

why doesn't python-central handle the (re)compilation of python modules.
it can just get the list using "dpkg -L <python-foo> | grep *.py".

that way, package postinst scripts dont have to worry about the details
and we wont have to run dpkg-reconfigure, which could, for example, ask
debconf questions again.

[1] http://spyce.sourceforge.net/

--
gram