On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 12:25 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 09:06:43PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> > > Just to avoid confusion, this would mean uploading between 18:00 and
> > > 19:00 UTC
> > > today (in about 9.5 hours).
>
> > Debhelper uploaded. We also had a python-central upload (fixing
> > dh_pycentral) and a python-support (adding dh_pysupport). So hopefully we
> > should be able to really start updating modules to the new policy tomorrow.
>
> > Build-Depends will have to require:
> > - python (>= 2.3.5-7) (for pyversions script)

Okay, I've updated the policy document to use that version in the Build
Dependencies section.

> Are packages expected to call pyversions directly, or is this something that
> should be a versioned dep from one of the other build-dependencies?

Some packages will call pyversions themselves to get the available list
of Python versions, and run each one on setup.py (see
[EMAIL PROTECTED] for an example). Pure Python modules
using python-support won't need to.

> Hmm, I guess it's called by dh_python, and debhelper doesn't depend on
> python at all.

Yes, this is already the cause of many FTBFS bugs in Python packages
when developers don't test in pbuilder. I've added a note to the policy
to this effect as well.
--
Joe Wreschnig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>