Raphael Hertzog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, Ben Finney wrote:
> > How should the Debian packaging files interact with this? Examples
> > I've seen for using python-central have the egg being built in the
> > Debian-specific debian/rules targets, but this is clearly
> > duplication if the upstream Makefile already builds an egg.
>
> Please be specific... tell us which examples you are referring to.

I was referred to <URL:http://wiki.debian.org/DebianPythonFAQ> which,
for python-central, directs me to
<URL:http://python-modules.alioth.debian.org/python-central_howto.txt>.

That document lists three example packages:

=====
  # package without .so files
  apt-get source pyparallel

  # package with .so files
  apt-get source python-imaging

  # package with .so files and Egg support
  apt-get source pyenchant
=====

I looked at 'pyparallel' because I am not packaging extensions, and at
'pyenchant' because I'm packaging with Egg support.

> We're using a feature of setuptools to provide eggs as unpacked
> directory trees instead of a single archive. This doesn't duplicate
> anything and it doesn't mean that we build eggs manually.

It does mean that the build step of the existing package, with its
'python ./setup.py --various --options bdist_egg', is discarded, and
needs to be done again (in a different way) for the Debian packaging.

--
 \     "Welchen Teil von 'Gestalt' verstehen Sie nicht?  [What part of |
  `\             'gestalt' don't you understand?]"  -- Karsten M. Self |