On Thursday, March 24, 2011 09:35:21 am Stefano Rivera wrote:
> I see we still suggest ${python:Provides}. I was encouraged in
> #debian-python to never use these unless there's an existing
> dependency on a versioned package name.
>
> There are no real packages using a name like python2.X-modulename.
> I can only see 4 packages depending on one of these virtual packages.
>
> Can we declare it deprecated?

It was my understanding that this should be used for Python extensions.  I
think once we get to pyhton2.7 as the only supported python, it won't matter.
I agree that ${python:Provides} is problematic, so we should consider how we
will approach this problem in Python 3 (I don't know if we can/should handle
it differently).

I'm interested to hear what others have to say on the topic.

Scott K