On 26 October 2012 14:20, Paul Tagliamonte <paul...@debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 11:03:34AM +0100, Thomas Kluyver wrote:
>> On 26 October 2012 09:19, Floris Bruynooghe <f...@devork.be> wrote:
>> > Several people have said they don't think this is a good idea.  But
>> > why not?  There is a bad effect if you don't rewrite the shebang to
>> > "/usr/bin/python[3] -ES" that we know of, but is there any example of
>> > where such a shebang line would cause trouble that warrants not doing
>> > this by default?
>>
>> Are there any situations where you might want to run a system script
>> with modified Python environment variables? I can't think of any off
>> the top of my head. Here's the list of environment variables:
>
> django-admin if I'm using a virtualenv? Perhaps I'm missing the point?
> Will this just break all virtualenv support?

I don't think a virtualenv would break.  If I execute a script which
lives outside of the virtualenv I generally want it to work with the
python it was installed with.  I regularly trip over ipython breaking
inside a virtualenv for example.  I tend to keep virtualenvs separated
from the system python, if I need django-admin in the virtualenv then
I should install it there.

Regards,
Floris