[Steve Langasek, 2012-10-25]
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 10:56:05AM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> > Using -E fixed the immediate bug, but I think it is generally useful to
> > include -s also, so as to avoid any potential breakage of system scripts by
> > things users may have added locally.
>
> If there's consensus that this should be dealt with in the packages, best
> would be to update the tooling (IIRC dh_python* already have some support
> for shebang rewrites?) and add a lintian warning, foregoing any mass bug
> filing.

 dh_python2 --shebang '/usr/bin/python -Es'
 dh_python3 --shebang '/usr/bin/python3 -Es'

should do the trick. I don't think adding -Es by default is a good idea
(although it's very tempting). I can add --ignore-custom-site-dirs-in-scripts
option to extend existing args in shebangs if you think such option
would help.