Sandro,

I sent you a nice and long email explaining you the ins and outs of this
package, and why/how I did what I did. Now I think you've going really
too far, and crossed the line, IMO.

On 01/26/2014 01:57 AM, Sandro Tosi wrote:
>> This kind of message saddens me.
>
> the same holds for calling my packages

Unless this changes:

Maintainer: Debian Python Modules Team
<python-modules-t...@lists.alioth.debian.org>

This is not "your package", but the one of the team. Again, remove the
team from the package if you do not expect this to happen.

> as having "lots of problems"

I really didn't want to do this in public, which is why I sent you a
private mail where I tried to be nice. Only there I may have used such
wording, which I'm not particularly proud of. I did re-read multiple
times to make sure it would read nicely, and I am sorry if it didn't
fully in all the bits of the message. Though now you're forcing me...

- No ${sphinxdoc:Depends} which means wrong dependencies for the doc.
I'd call it a minor issue.

- Unexpected removal of upstream API module "futures" that isn't even
documented in a README or something, and that broke reverse-dependency.

- Then (and it goes together), no support for the "futures" as module
name, package called "concurrent.futures" which is breaking the python
policy (and forces the use of pydist-overrides). On this page:
https://code.google.com/p/pythonfutures/
I can read: "import futures" as the first line of the example code
snippet, though this didn't work with the package.

- No file shipped into /usr/lib/python2.x/dist-packages (well, 2.7 for
Sid, and 2.x if you consider an eventual backport). Now, I'm saying:
"sorry what?" like on your 1st mail. This breaks the package for
everybody (and not "only my case").

If that's not "lots of problems", how do you call this?

> (none of them ever being reported as bugs by any of the current users,
> nor even by you)

Then what? The package is declared as team maintained.

My understanding of the way the team should work, is that we don't have
to go through the cir-convolution of the BTS, wait for the maintainer to
wake up, discuss everything, etc. which is a very inefficient way of
improving the packages. Do you have another reading?

> of accusing me of having done something without
> thinking.

I haven't accused you of doing anything. And even though now it's
tempting to comment on your attitude, I will refrain from such
anti-social behavior, in the hope we restore a good atmosphere.

>> "thanks for fixing that, however there, you shouldn't have done this,
>> plus let me revert and fix that bit better"
>
> and so I was expecting you to contact me *upfront* almost redoing the
> packaging, and switching helper, but it did't come, did it?

Feel free to switch back to a helper which is [1] declared as
deprecated. Everything can be reverted, it's not a so big deal, and I
personally don't care that much if the package continues to work. Though
I don't think reverting to a deprecated helper will please everyone, and
I believe that this should be discuss, not with you, but with the rest
of the team!

>> Maybe you could try this style and really do team work if your package
>> is team maintained, no?
>
> "really do team work"? do you call your changes a "team work"?

I do. Do the same kind of fixes on *any* of my packages (even the
non-team maintained ones), and I wont complain unless there's obvious
technical mistakes. Even if there was errors, I don't think I'll start a
flame war thread like you just did... I'm by the way on the low NMU
threshold, and I invite anyone to work toward improving Debian.

> i don't. teams talk, teams discuss, teams agree on a solution -

I probably should have get in touch yes. Though I don't think you should
be that harsh and start a flame war, plus call me fanatic, then asking
me to leave the team.

> you just uploaded a package that fixes your problem

I can't agree with this wording. I fixed the problems for everybody,
because the package wasn't useable by anyone it the state it was. If you
do not agree, please comment technically about the changes and tell
everyone here where I did such a huge mistake. I'll be happy to learn in
the process if I did some mistakes. Bonus point if you can quit your
current aggressive tone.

Also, we're all working improving Debian for our own specific issues,
with our own goal and perspectives in mind. Even if this was the case on
this package, and that it fixed only a problem for me, I don't see it as
an issue.

Also, if I cared only about my own problem, the patch would have been
smaller, and I wouldn't have fixed cosmetic stuff like the wrong Format:
field for the debian/copyright, and things like this.

> without caring to
> understand if that's ok with who maintainer (that far).

The maintainer for this package is: Debian Python Modules Team.

I'm part of that team, last time I checked, so that's fine. Remove the
team if you do not agree.

> it is not the first time your interactions with DMPT or its team
> members has been problematic (if you need a hint, think about all the
> problems your fanatism to GIT has generated): maybe it's you that
> should rethink how you interact with the team and stop imposing your
> way.

Ah ... So I've been *imposing* git? Are you sure of this? That's a very
interesting view. You see, from my viewpoint, I'm only trying to
convince a small (but very vocal and active) resistant to change
minority. Could you care to tell "problems" are you talking about? I'm
not aware of any until now. That you were bored reading me, at most?

Unfortunately, last time I checked, we're still using SVN, which
everyone else but about half a dozen member of this team think it's
something of the past, and which other teams have moved (or are in the
process of moving) away. Even a majority inside the team thinks we
should switch. The problem is just how. Also, I believe a vast majority
inside Debian also agrees with me that Git is better. Sticking to SVN
has, and will continue, to drive people away from the team (there's
numerous examples of this already, including these TEAM modules on
collab-maint). So, I really wonder who's doing fanaticism in this case.

Now, are you done calling me names? Please, let's focus on improving
Debian. We have better things to do than his...

Peace, love, flowers, etc.
Oh, and ... cheers!

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Python/TransitionToDHPython2 has:
"The two traditionally popular Python helpers, python-support and
python-central have both been deprecated in favor of dh_python2."

So if someone do not agree with this, it should IMO be written
explicitly in this wiki page that it's actually not OK to convert things
to dh_python2. Also, probably we should switch everything to pybuild,
no? (and /me should learn more about it)