On 07/09/2015 12:25 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
> On 3 July 2015 at 08:29, Scott Kitterman <deb...@kitterman.com> wrote:
>
>> I think dropping these duplicates is the only thing that makes sense. For
>> reference, I dropped python3-ipaddr once python3.2 was gone (because 3.3 has
>> ipaddress, which does the same thing).
>
> Where its a dupe sure.
>
> unittest2, traceback2, linecache2, mock are not duplicates of the
> functionality in 3.4 - they are backports of things in 3.5 (to all
> pythons). And they will shortly have more than 3.5 itself has in it,
> as they are rolling backports: what lands in 3.6 will go into them. So
> I don't think removing them makes sense.

I think it does. You are confusing here your role as an upstream Python author,
as a third party upstream developer and as a Debian developer.

As an upstream Python author you are actively forking the Python standard
library.  I don't think I read any PEP about these forks.

As a third party upstream developer (I assume openstack in this case) you want
to provide a way to port this stack to Python3. Having these modules available
for Python2 makes sense, but using these modules for Python3 is just a lazy way.

As a Debian developer you are duplicating code, and no, I don't think that
providing this code under a different name is different enough to rectify
distribution of this code in Debian.

In the past, the use of modules added in the standard library was handled like:

try:
  import <module in stdlib>
except ImportError:
  import <separate module> as <module in stdlib>

>From my point of view this should be done with your python3 modules as well. As
a service to the community you could provide appropriate snippets like the above
as well. maybe adjusted for different Python versions.

Further, if your forks gain popularity, there's no way out to remove these at
some time, because people will rely on these forks, having no way out of using
these modules, obsoleting the versions in the standard library, and people will
be stuck with your forks.

So please remove the python3 versions at least for Debian. I will definitely ask
for their removal, and will add appropriate Conflicts/Replaces once 3.5 becomes
the default in Debian.

Matthias