On Aug 19, 2015, at 06:41 PM, Matthias Klose wrote:

>As a Debian developer you are duplicating code, and no, I don't think that
>providing this code under a different name is different enough to rectify
>distribution of this code in Debian.

In some cases however, the standalone library moves ahead of the stdlib,
because they have hugely different release cycles.  They may eventually catch
up every 18 months (when a new Python is released), but in the meantime the
divergence might be needed by dependent packages.

So I'm not sure a blanket policy is useful.  By all means, if there isn't any
significant difference between a standalone package and what's available in
the current supported Python 3 version, let's not ship unnecessary binary
packages.

Cheers,
-Barry