On 2017-03-06 10:15, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> On Mar 05, 2017, at 01:47 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>
>> Why waiting? The freeze is typically a time of very low activity and low
>> disturbance. That's a perfect moment for doing the switch.
>
> I think it's generally been the consensus, even outside of this team, that
> doing vcs or other disruptive switches are bad ideas during times of release
> freezes.  For example, upstream CPython recently switched to git + github, but
> while an enormous amount of work went into making that as smooth as possible
> beforehand, the actual switch wasn't done until after the 3.6 release.

More importantly, from my perspective, I am unlikely to be making any
significant changes (in fact maybe no changes) to any of my packages
until after the freeze. So there doesn't seem to be much point in trying
to rush this through, right now.

After the freeze, some of my packages will no doubt require updating the
the latest upstream version. This will be a good test for gbp pq.

If people wanted to, now would be a good time to document/implement/test
the procedure for doing the conversion (without actually doing it for
real).