On Sat, Jan 05, 2019 at 08:30:28PM +0100, Ole Streicher wrote:
> >> Python-astropy is however going to be removed completely; it has
> >> however some cruft rdeps left in unstable. So, it cannot removed from
> >> unstable now, and therefore still remains in testing and
> >> (unnecessarily) blocks the numpy migration.  Python-astropy already
> >> has an RC bug, but its autoremoval from testing is still not even
> >> announced yet.
> >
> > Maybe you could ask the release team to hasten the removal of
> > python-astropy and rdeps from testing?  If the plan is to not relase
> > it in buster I don't see a reason to keep it further.
>
> Couldn't we just also add a "breaks" to numpy? The important fact here
> is, that the new numpy and the current python-astropy don't work
> together; and this is independent of whether a fixed python-astropy
> version exists.

That wouldn't quite work, as without a working version of python-astropy
it would unilateraly block the migration of numpy as long as
python-astropy is in testing.

> This would remove one dependent party (release team) from the chain of
> blocking causes for the migration.

Given your email on -mentors a few minutes ago I see there are troubles
on removing python-astropy from unstable (I'll reply to that in a bit),
but for testing is quite easy.
Just file a bug against release.debian.org asking to remove it from
testing, and one against python-astropy at RC-level with "not release
with buster", and it will be out of testing beofore you even notice.

> >> The migration blocking CI tests seem to cause much more headaches than
> >> just "fix your bugs"...
> >
> > Well, from what I see, it has helped a lot in this half a year detect a
> > ton of regressions that would have otherwise bothered several people in
> > a later moment…
>
> I usually regularly look into my packages and file bugs if a CI test
> fails caused by a buggy updated dependency. This works well without the
> need of blocks. It would also work, when a failing CI test would
> automatically trigger a bug report against the updated package, which
> then could be re-assigned to the rdep in case the problem was there.

There is elbrus that does that regularly (Except these last few weeks
when it was on vaction).  I think he said complete automation would miss
too many things that he is filtering out by hand for now.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

more about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :