On 7/6/20 9:04 PM, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Starting with Python 3.8, Python upstream changed to a time based yearly
> release
> schedule, targeting the first release of a major Python version (3.x) for
> October of each year.  For the transition to 3.8:
>
>  - we add 3.8 as supported in November
>  - made 3.8 the default in March
>  - dropped 3.7 in April
>
> That's a little bit late looking at the Debian release schedule, so a little
> speedup would be needed if we want to target the current Python release for
> the
> current Debian release.  For 3.8 Ubuntu started to prepare the switch a bit
> earlier, using the results for a better experience in Debian:
>
>  - added 3.8 in mid October
>  - made 3.8 the default in mid December
>
> Technically it would be possible to do the defaults change before the Debian
> freeze, however there's usually a tail of follow-up upstream releases required
> to support a new major Python version, unless you opt for actively backporting
> changes in various packages.  Having the confidence, that the switch is
> feasible
> in another distro certainly helps doing the transition in Debian, however it
> adds a delay.  I don't think it's feasible to do the transition in
> experimental
> first, or doing a large test rebuild, because it requires keeping the whole
> python stack in sync with testing/unstable.
>
> So what I'm proposing here is to aim to support 3.9 as early as possible as a
> supported Python3 version, starting with the 3.9 upstream release, and fixing
> stuff on the go.  Then decide in November, if we can do the defaults change to
> 3.9, or if we drop 3.9 again, or ship with two supported Python3 versions.

This looks reasonable, thanks for opening the discussion and doing the
hard work. However, I wouldn't be for shipping 2 supported versions, and
would prefer if we could have only one if possible, as otherwise this
means running unit tests at build time against 2 python versions, which
then takes twice as much build time: that's annoying and useless
(because at the end, only one of these versions will be in use).

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)