On Thu, Dec 15, 2022 at 04:10:05PM +0100, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 12/13/22 13:34, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> > If Python 3.11 is the default, then it is highly likely that Spyder
> > will not be included: debugpy, which is a dependency of Spyder and
> > python3-ipykernel (and lots of things that depend on that) seems to
> > require major work upstream to make it fully compatible with Python
> > 3.11.  This is work in progress, but I don't know whether it will be
> > ready in time for the freeze.  At the moment, I have worked around
> > this problem by just skipping the failing tests, but that is far from
> > an ideal solution.
>
> It's probably ok if it's a *TEMPORARY* solution until upstream fixes
> everything in time for the release (which is months after the freeze). The
> question is: do you believe this may happen for let's say next March?

The truth is that I don't know.  Upstream is very good, but the Python
3.11 internal changes are very significant, and debugpy (along with
pydevd, which is part of debugpy) are deeply affected by this, as they
work at the level of Python's internals.  So I don't know how long it
will take them to make the required changes (and it's far beyond my
capability or capacity to do myself).  I can hope they'll do it in
time for the freeze, but I wouldn't like to place a bet on it.

Best wishes,

   Julian