On 12/13/22 00:51, Graham Inggs wrote:
Dear Python Team

Looking at the current state of the 'adding Python 3.11 as a supported
version' transition [1], the tracker [2] shows only 12 red packages
(excluding unknowns and packages not in testing) remaining, copied
below for reference.

We believe all FTBFS and autopkgtest regression bugs have already been
filed and tagged.

The current state of bugs tagged 'python3.11' [3] is 116 resolved and
49 still open.  Many thanks to everyone who has contributed to fixing
these, and especially to the organizers of the recent Python sprint
[4].

As this transition is non-blocking (i.e. uploaded packages are able to
migrate ahead of python3-defaults), we could wait for the remaining
bugs to be fixed, or for auto-removal to take its course.  However,
with the bookworm transition freeze only one month away [5], we'd like
to hear from the Python Team within the next week whether they wish to
proceed with Python 3.11 being the only supported version for bookworm
(in which case we will allow python3-defaults to migrate right now)
or, revert the changes in python3-defaults and have Python 3.10 as the
only supported version for bookworm.

Should it be the former, we'd like an undertaking from the Python Team
that they will help resolve the remaining bugs against key packages
[6], as these cannot easily be avoided by manual or auto-removals.

On behalf of the Release Team
Graham

Hi Graham,

For OpenStack, I believe I was able to fix all Python 3.11 bugs (often with the help of upstream, a few times, on my own but very trivial fixes like the easy getargspec -> getfullargspec). The remaining filled RC bugs because of Python 3.11, I don't really mind (even if these 5 packages are AUTORM, I'm fine with that, they aren't key packages from the OpenStack perspective).

However, there's still one very annoying bug in flask-restful that makes it not rebuild under Python 3.11. Keystone needs flask-restful, so I *must* fix it.

Note here that #1024913 is because of another issue (ie: the autopkgtest functional test doesn't support more than one available Python interpreter, though it's easy to fix: simply kill the server between runs...). Though it hides the real FTBFS issue (failure in unit tests), which I believe is probably due to my upgrade of werkzeug 2.2.2 rather than Python 3.11.

Help would be greatly appreciated fixing this bug. Hopefully, I can get this done during my holidays (and avoid any other work...).

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)