Hi Matthias

On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 at 18:24, Matthias Klose <d...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> while we have not an 100% agreement to go ahead, I think we should aim for
> 3.11.

Action speaks louder than words, and there's been a whole lot of work
done to push this forward.

> The following steps would be:
>
>   - accept the current python3-defaults into
>     testing (adding 3.11 as supported)

This has been done.

>   - ask for a transition slot to upload (see #1026825)
>     python3-defaults with 3.11 as the default

We're currently waiting on the PHP 8.2 (#1014460) and
qtbase-opensource-src (#1025863) transitions.  Although, there's been
no progress on PHP 8.2, so this may be reconsidered.
qtbase-opensource-src is currently blocked on a pyqt5 FTBFS on mipsel
(#1026980), but there is a possible workaround.  We hope to be able to
start with the remaining steps soon.

>   - start the no-change NMUs
>   - file bug reports.
>   - fix issues
>   - let 3.11 as default migrate to testing.

> If things don't go as planned, we could default back to 3.10.  Mostly that
> would
> be no-change uploads, however in the case of a 3.11 specific fix that doesn't
> work for 3.10, these fixes would need reverting.  I have no idea who many of
> these we will introduce with this transition.

OK, good to know we can still back out if we have to.

> Also we might want to ask for some freeze exceptions for third party
> libraries,
> that we can't fix before the feature freeze, unfortunately at this point we
> cannot say which and how many packages would be affected.

The release team is prepared to consider these on a case-by-case basis.

Regards
Graham