Hi Thorsten,

> AIUI, S_D_E is used as a *delimiter*, not as a timestamp *all* files
> are to be set to.

I've found that having a shared vocabulary is very useful so just in
case it helps we tend to use the term "clamping" when referring to
this MIN(a,b) concept rather than "delimiter" or similar.  eg. "foo
clamps the mtimes to SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH".

> Chris/H01ger, please correct me if I’m wrong, but this is
> how I understood S_D_E to work.

It is not required. Does the canonical specification not explain?

  https://reproducible-builds.org/specs/source-date-epoch/

I pedantically refer you to that /only/ because if it is not clear
enough then there is a need to revise it. :)

Best wishes,

--
      ,''`.
     : :'  :     Chris Lamb