El martes, 31 de julio de 2018 17:54:55 -03 John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
escribió:
> On 07/31/2018 09:16 PM, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> >  - not embedding the resources on all platforms gives quite bigger
> >  deployment>
> > issues on some platforms. (windows, mac, some mobile targets)
>
> macOS always puts the resource files into separate folders inside the app
> bundle (which is just a folder). At least when I did professional Qt
> development.

Only if you don't compile it as part of the binary. Yes, you can do that.

> >  - on some platforms, embedding resources gives faster startup and
> >  resource
> >
> > access. (Especially windows)
>
> I think that difference is negligible.

Not what upstreams says actually (but I have no way to check nor will lose
time on that).

> Plus, we're also not talking about
> Windows or macOS here, so the situation is not comparable. On Debian, we
> do have multiple versions of the same binary and storing the resource
> files is explicitly desired as it makes a difference in disk space when
> we're talking about hundreds or thousands of packages.

I agree with you, but multi platform developers disagree. And we are talking
about multi platform projects here.

> > So embedding resources if you target cross platformness, and your
> > resources
> > aren't too big and not actually shared with others often the easiest and
> > cheapest way forward. It costs mirroring linux distributions a slight disk
> > overhead, but I don't think that is too big of a problem.
>
> You're basically using the arguments for the Windows and macOS versions
> on Debian. In Debian, saving disk space through redundancy does defnitely
> make a difference.

Then you need to convince every upstream out there of this. Having a switch
would indeed be desirable.

> > But, more and more are going to need libclang. Given libclang is mostly a
> > c++ parser, I don't see why it shouldn't be buildable on most platforms ?
> > Can't the compiler bits be stripped from the llvm source package on some
> > archs?
> That has to be seen. As I said, we're working on it. But it takes some
> time.

I think that will be better spent that the whole rest :-/ It would not surpise
me if any other part of Qt gains a hard dependency on llvm due to it's parser.
It makes developers waste much less time than making your own.

--
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's
character, give him power.

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/