On Sat, 6 Jun 2020, 19:28 Pino Toscano, <p...@debian.org> wrote:

> severity 962348 important
> thanks
>
> In data sabato 6 giugno 2020 16:26:34 CEST, Dimitri John Ledkov ha scritto:
> > Package: kig
> > Version: 4:20.04.1-1
> > Severity: serious
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > boost1.67 is being removed from testing and is transitioning to
> boost1.71.
>
> Yes, I know about the boost transition to 1.71.0, that the new boost
> does not provide Python 2 support, and that it is expected to not ship
> boost 1.67.0 in bullseye.
>
> > kig has just now switched from boost1.71 to boost1.67.
>
> Quoting what I wrote in the changelog entry of 4:20.04.1-1:
>
>   * Temporarily switch from libboost-python-dev to libboost-python1.67-dev,
>     as boost 1.67 is the latest version of boost in Debian that supports
>     Python 2: kig < 20.08 is not ready for Python 3, so stil with Python 2
>     for now.
>
> As the version number hints, the new stable version will be released
> in (late) August; the development version already switched to Python 3
> only, and it contains few Python 3 fixes. The current version does
> *not* work properly with Python 3, that is why I had to rollback to
> boost 1.67.0 (since boost 1.71.0 has no Python 2 bindings, sigh).
>
> > Thus I am opening this bug report to prevent kig from migrating.
>
> First of all, please do not abuse severities for things that are not
> critical yet. There is a catch here: the version in testing is the
> binNMU for the boost 1.71.0 rebuild, and apparently (to my surprise)
> it was detected and switched to Python 3. This is buggy though, so
> not letting this version migrate means having a buggy version in
> testing.
>
> > boost1.71 does not offer python2 bindings, as python2 is being removed
> to.
>
> Sure, I know this too.
>
> > I understand that kig is using boost-python2. Either please disable
> > python bindings usage at build time, or try to port to boost-python3?
>
> As I said, in ~3 months there will be a new upstream release fully
> supporting Python 3, and I will switch it when it is released.
>
> In the meanwhile, please:
> a) open a RM bug for boost 1.67.0, so it is clear that it will be
> removed
> b) make this bug block the RM bug
>
> I'm pretty sure boost 1.67.0 can stay 3 months more around, especially
> since I see it is still not the only package using the old boost.

No, it cannot as it entangles too many other transitions.

There are less than 25 packages remaining that have not rebuilt against
boos1.71.

boost1.67 will be shortly removed from both testing and unstable.

Three month delay is not ok.

Since the package is broken in both testing and unstable, in different
ways, please request its removal. Or upload it without python bindings
enabled, until they are working correctly with python3.

Please stop intentionally delaying completion of multiple archive
transitions.

Would you like me to upload NMU to delayed/2 that disable python bindings?

Regards,

Dimitri.