On 06/07/2018 03:15, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
>> For the sake of completeness, here's an extra data point. If someone
>> ends up with two peers with versions 2.48.3-1 vs. 2.48.3-1+b1 (hosts
>> with s-p-u enabled, but not dist-upgraded at the same time), one can
>> get this very issue:
>> | Uncaught exception Failure("input_value: bad bigarray kind")

This is expected.

>> with extra unfriendly debug messages (hey, look at those in the github
>> bug tracker, the ones we wanted to get rid of).
>>
>> I thought I'd mention the possibly surprising outcome for people not
>> following debian-release@ closely.
>
> Also, that seems to completely invalidate the on-disk cache, which is
> likely the reason why the first run with an upgraded version (on either
> side, by the way) can take several (dozens of) minutes instead of a
> couple of seconds.

Indeed. Care must be taken at each upgrade of Unison, I think Unison
users are aware of that. This is not specific to Debian. What was
specific to Debian was the situation of Unison compiled with a version
of OCaml different from the one that is being distributed alongside,
which this binNMU is meant to fix.

> It might have been a good idea to mention that in the binNMU request. It
> might also be a good idea to document those consequences in some way.

Sorry. Where would be a good place to document this, now?

Cheers,

--
Stéphane