Le 21/08/2019 à 18:26, Thomas Leonard a écrit :
>> Please remove the following packages from testing:
>>
>>  * ocaml-usb, affected by #933993
>>  * ocaml-sqlexpr, affected by #933994
>>  * zeroinstall-injector, affected by #934340
>>  * obus, affected by #933992
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm the maintainer of zeroinstall-injector and I just got notified
> that it was removed and found this issue. I believe that this removal
> was done in error.
>
> As I explained in
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=934340, there is no
> need to remove obus, which has made a new release without a camlp4
> dependency (and also, camlp4 itself is now compatible with the new
> OCaml and therefore does not need to be removed).

It might be compatible, but is still deprecated upstream. Its future is
unclear. Nobody volunteered to maintain it. We are still strongly
encouraged by upstream to get rid of it (and Fedora already did it).
Once OCaml 4.08.x hits testing, my plan is to be more aggressive about
removing it. For now, I just get rid of what gets in the way of updating
other packages.

> The message there says "The new version depends on (at least) two NEW
> packages (lwt_log and ppxlib), and the NEW queue backlog is pretty big
> now." but I don't believe the length of the NEW queue is a good reason
> to remove working packages.

It's removed from testing only. I don't believe the length of the NEW
queue is a good reason to stop working at all if it is possible to
progress otherwise.

> It is possible to get the zeroinstall package (at least the binaries)
> restored to testing while this issue is fixed?

I don't believe so, but I don't have authority here. Anyway, I won't
reinstate the camlp4 dependency in lwt, I'd rather update lwt which is
pretty old now but that is not possible at the moment.

>> They prevent 62 other packages from migrating to testing. They are
>> already marked for autoremoval, but too far in the future.
>
> It was only marked for autoremoval due to this exact issue. Surely the
> purpose of the time delay is to let these things be fixed properly?

So your suggestion was to freeze activity until the packages were
automatically removed from testing? I firmly believe that accelerating
the removal from testing was legitimate here. Your package can migrate
back to testing later.

> https://wiki.debian.org/ftpmaster_Removals seems to indicate that a
> maintainer should be given several weeks notice before their package
> is removed.

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=934340#17 was posted 8
days before the removal and got not reply, so I thought you were OK with
this.

Again, this removal from testing is not a definitive removal from Debian
and may be just temporary. I didn't mean to be hostile.

Cheers,

--
Stéphane