> On 1. 1. 2022, at 9:01, Paul Gevers <elb...@debian.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On 31-12-2021 21:25, Paul Gevers wrote:
>> Hi Ondřej, PHP PECL Maintainers,
>> On 31-12-2021 12:50, Ondřej Surý wrote:
>>> Uploaded php 8.1.1 and php-defaults 91 switching the Debian PHP version to
>>> PHP 8.1
>> Thanks.
>> Will you also upload src:php-imagick, which seems to block some rebuilds in
>> the current state.
>> I want to update the ben transition tracker file to catch these kind of
>> packages. Should I add a "Depends on php7.4-common" to the "bad" list?
>
> It seems I don't understand how PHP packaging works. I scheduled rebuilds of
> several packages that were yesterday on the tracker page [1] when that still
> only had the phpapi-* listed. Several packages can't be build yet it seems
> (because they depend on packages that need new uploads), but e.g. wikidiff2
> built fine *but disappeared* from the tracker. I looked at a build log [2]
> and noticed that the binary has files in /etc/php8.1 (and not in
> /etc/php7.4), but doesn't tell otherwise (in package relations) that it's
> meant for php8.1 and not for php7.4. Why did that phpapi-* thing disappear?
> Is that intended? The built binaries already migrated to testing, while the
> default there is still php7.4. I assume we can consider php-wikidiff2
> (partially?) broken now *in testing*? Same for php-luasandbox [3], php-geos
> [4], and php-excimer [5] (which also FTBFS on mipsel).

This has been tracker as #1000233 and hopefully fixed in dh-php 4.4

> Some rebuilds failed, e.g. php-horde-lz4 [6],

The FTBFS is unrelated to PHP 8.1 transition

> php-wmerrors [7], owfs [8].

These two need upstream update.

> I also notice that quite some php packages grew a php7.4-* package in
> unstable. Is the idea that that needs to be done for php8.1 too and that all
> those packages require a round trip through NEW? If that's the case, next
> time please prepare those in experimental, such that we don't need to wait
> for processing of NEW during the transition. If that's not the case, please
> upload new versions of those packages dropping the php7.4 package.

Yes, I rewrote the helper scripts for PECL based packages, and I haven’t
realized this. The idea is to align the embedded extensions schema[a] with the
externally (PECL) distributed extensions. This is bit tricky though, I was
faced with two options:

1. Add all binary packages to debian/control directly and do the NEW queue
2. Generate all binary packages to debian/control during the build, but this
would then require overrides (which I think doesn’t really scale)

> Please enlighten me on the details of php packaging that I'm missing and that
> we should be aware of for this (and future) transition(s).

Currently, there are two types:

1. arch:any php-<name> that contains the extension and the configuration - uses
whatever build system is there
2. arch:all php-<name> depending on arch:any phpX.Y-<name> that uses
/usr/share/dh-php/pkg-pecl.mk Makefile snippet which does a lot of “magic”, but
so is a bit fragile as everything that is “magic” is.

Ondrej

depend on it
--
Ondřej Surý (He/Him)