Happy new year Thomas!

Skipping release team for this mail as I want to check one thing with you.
You write that we will not maintain the -6 version in sid. Do that mean
that all the work I did for this package (to move out the plugin files
to respective package will be in vain?

Or is folsom release based on -6 version?

Just checking. Based on your answer I will simply upload a -7 version
that will be more or less identical to the version I was thinking
of uploading to testing-proposed-updates.

// Ola

On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 03:32:34AM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 12/29/2012 09:22 PM, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
> >> * I don't think there's the need to use testing-proposed-updates.
> >> Uploading to SID will be just fine, as anyway, we haven't uploaded
> >> anything newer in SID which would pose a problem, and that we use
> >> Experimental for Folsom. (in other words: nothing prevents uploading to
> >> SID, and when we upload there it's in the hope it migrates to testing)
> >
> > No that won't work because the changes in -6 should remain.
>
> We will *not* maintain -6 in SID. It will go away and will be replaced
> by the Folsom packaging as soon as Wheezy is released. So why would you
> keep it in SID?
>
> > And no I do not want to first upload a -7 version and than a new
> > -8 with the changes in -6 because then I have to have a very complicated
> > replaces rules in the control file which we really should avoid.
>
> Ah, that makes sense!!! :)
>
> But I don't think this cuts it. The changes will be necessary in Folsom
> anyway, because we should provide an upgrade path in SID. So we're
> doomed to the replaces+breaks it here. Note that we already have a
> Replaces: in the alioth for the Folsom release Quantum which I plan to
> upload soon. Should I add a Breaks: too? (I think so)
>
> > Same answer as above. I have followed the instructions in
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html chapter
> > 5.13.3.
> >
> > "Version numbers are usually selected by adding the codename of the testing
> >  distribution and a running number, like 1.2squeeze1 for the first upload
> >  through testing-proposed-updates of package version 1.2."
> >
> > This is just as valid for testing uploads as for stable uploads.
>
> Yeah, I wasn't debating this, I was questioning the relevance of using
> t-p-u instead of SID.
>
> >> * Our Git already contains entries for -6 and -7. Please use that,
> >> modifying the candidate version -7, and do not get out of sync with our
> >> Git please, otherwise it's going to be a nightmare!
> >
> > The -7 version is what I have used to backport from. I have taken your
> > changes and re-done them for testing only.
>
> Then you should create a debian/wheezy branch in the Git! I was planning
> on doing that just right after the release of wheezy for all of our
> packages, but it will be needed now for Quantum if you want the package
> to have a Wheezy and a SID branch now. As much as I can see, Alioth
> doesn't have a debian/wheezy branch, does it?
>
> >> Also, this issue has been pending for 6 months! I do appreciate that you
> >> finally decide to work on it, even that late. But I continue to refuse
> >> to take the responsibility for it. The main mistake, IMO, was to leave
> >> the issue as-is, doing nothing to fix it. So you and Loic should really
> >> take the responsibility for the upload, and make sure it's in a correct
> >> shape *in time* for the release. I surely would feel bad if Quantum had
> >> to be removed from Wheezy. Please don't leave this pending again.
> >
> > I do not want to start a flamewar

> [...]

/  o...@inguza.com                    Annebergsslingan 37        \
|  o...@debian.org                   654 65 KARLSTAD            |
|  http://inguza.com/                Mobile: +46 (0)70-332 1551 |
\  gpg/f.p.: 7090 A92B 18FE 7994 0C36 4FE4 18A1 B1CF 0FE5 3DD9  /