On 06/18/2016 06:25 PM, William ML Leslie wrote:
> In case it isn't clear, the number of users of the architecture is not part
> of the qualification, it is the amount of maintenance pressure involved.
> Package
> maintainers have to put more effort into ensuring builds succeed for release
> architectures, which detracts from other work that needs to be done. Not
> being a
> release architecture is perfectly fine.

I maintain multiple architectures in Debian Ports, including m68k, powerpcspe,
sh4, sparc64 and x32 and actually, it's not so much of a burden to maintain an
architecture in Debian. Most of the packages don't need special attention and
if they do, it's usually just poorly written code like people doing weird
pointer
arithmetics which provoke unaligned access or abuse C/C++ in other ways.

If upstream developers in these cases cared more about code quality and
adhering to the C/C++ standards, we would hardly ever have issues with any
ports. Heck,
even on m68k, most packages still build fine and they actually work. As long as
an architecture is maintained upstream both in the kernel and the toolchain,
there is absolutely no reason to not keep it in Debian unless there is no
hardware available that can be used for buildds and porterboxes. Ports like
Debian/GNU Hurd or Debian/kFreeBSD are a different story though as they need
way more work to be able to make all sorts of packages work there.

In the case of PowerPC, both the kernel and the toolchain are very well
maintained, many packages like GHC have native support for the architecture and
even
rather problematic packages like Firefox/Thunderbird are supported. Plus,
PowerPC packages can be built on the POWER8 virtual machines that IBM provides
for Debian Developers in the cloud for free. We have one such machine set up
for ppc64, for example.

In any case, if PowerPC should ever be dropped as a release architecture, I
will be more than happy to adopt it in Debian Ports.

PS: If you see your package failing to build on any of the ports architectures
and you want to fix it and need help, just let me know :).

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer - glaub...@debian.org