On 7/14/20 5:11 PM, Anton Gladky wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Thanks for your contribution to Debian. I have just some doubts about
> usefulness for Debian and possible popularity of those two projects.

hi Anton

thanks for your comment. happy to explain. Changed message title from
"JSON/..." to "JData/BJData encoders and decoders" to avoid further
confusions.

see my self-introduction in a previous thread

https://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2020/06/msg00006.html
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?submitter=fangqq%40gmail.com

I am working on packaging a number research software produced from my
lab and research projects. I have already submitted 5 octave-related
projects, mentored by Rafael Laboissière (CCed) via the Debian Octave
Group. I intend to maintain these packages in the future (already doing
so for Fedora).

These two python modules are part of a bigger project that I initiated
last year (http://openjdata.org). They allow python users to read/write
JData-annotated data files produced by my MATLAB toolbox JSONLab
(https://github.com/fangq/jsonlab , about 46000 downloads on Matlab file
exchange and ~1000 clones/week on github). This work is partly funded by
my NIH (National Institute of Health) grants and broader dissemination
is part of the project goals.

> Do you know how many people can be interested in these two libraries?
> It looks like at least one of them duplicates the functionality of the
> built-in
> JSON module. Could you please shortly describe the benefits of both
> of them before we start to evaluate it technically?

The *python-bjdata* project was extended from *python-ubjson* - an
existing Debian package. Unfortunately, the UBJSON spec
(http://ubjson.org), despite being broadly used, is no longer actively
maintained. I started a fork earlier this year to continue the
development of this specification, and python-bjdata is a parser that is
compliant to the BJData spec.

The jdata/bjdata framework is not a duplication to JSON - instead, it
defines a systematic way to encode basic data structures into
JSON/UBJSON/BJData serializable forms.

The detailed specifications, examples and rationales can be found at

http://openjdata.org/wiki/

in a way, the jdata module is similar to *json-tricks* but aimed at a
more systematic/standardized way to annotate complex data (such as
graphs, maps, ND arrays ...) for sharing, exchange and reuse.

https://packages.debian.org/buster/python/python3-json-tricks

the bjdata module is a binary JSON format (similar to UBJSON, and
msgpack) to store binary and strongly typed hierarchical data. The
differences are highlighted in this github tracker

https://github.com/ubjson/universal-binary-json/issues/109

Although these two modules were recently developed, we are beginning to
integrate those in my other tools including *iso2mesh*
<http://iso2mesh.sf.net/>, *jsonlab* <http://openjdata.org/jsonlab> and
*mcx* <http://mcx.space/> (~10,000 registered users combined). So
packaging and maintaining these tools will greatly facilitate the data
exchange among the user communities.

let me know if I can provide any additional explanations.

thanks

Qianqian