Nilesh Patra <nil...@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 03, 2021 at 08:38:10PM +1100, Stuart Prescott wrote:
>
>> However, the disadvantages of separate teams are
>>
>> - differing conventions in each team around VCS layout, interactions etc
>
> We adopt the policy of the science team, so the VCS layout will essentially
> be the same. So this will not have any delta with what science team is doing
> currently.

I must say I fail to see how this isn't an argument for lumping the two
teams together (or, as I suggested in my other message, lump all the
"computation-scientifically" oriented teams into one; I'd wager the
domain-specific expertise often varies just as much within one of the
current teams as it does across them).

Again, I have no strong opinions against the forming of the math team,
certainly not when wearing my mathematician's (dunce) hat, but it seems
to me that several of the arguments for doing so boil down to "things
won't be worse, and they might be better", with some additional work
needed to align conventions in order to ensure that things in fact will
not be worse.

 Best,
 Gard