Hi,

Am Wed, Nov 03, 2021 at 03:41:43PM +0530 schrieb Nilesh Patra:
> I could agree that there will initially be a few people looking after, but I
> do expect
> this team to grow, like several other teams in Debian have too. Maybe Andreas
> could give
> better pointers here.

Since my name was mentioned here:  I hope I gave sufficient pointers
in this discussion. ;-)

> I think this is repeating the same argument made above again, that we've
> fewer people,
> I'd simply say that many active people in other blends projects (like -med,
> -science et. al.) are also
> involved here, and there are good chances that it grows with time.
> I can very well understand your fears that some of our packages undergo
> bitrot, but then I've two thinsg to point at.

Always if I meet Matthias Klose I expects me to care for better quality
of Debian Science packages.  I usually defend this "generic" blaming of
Debian Science in general but yes, he has a point.  Since Debian Science
maintains a lot of packages and also quite complex ones there is always
a number of packages that has issues.  "Outsiders" of the Debian Science
team have a different view on this as we who know these issues.  So my
hope is that a Debian Math team will not raise that signal for people
like Matthias and others.

> First, its not like the science team has all packages in excellent condition
> - from my experience of contributing in the science
> team for around two years, I've found several packages lying around, broken.
> It's not an opinion, its a fact UDD and bug tracker
> show proofs. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone here, please assume my best
> of intentions here.
> Second, having a separate team with dedicated set of people working on it can
> make the condition better. In the best case,
> we will see nice QA, in the worst case, I don't expect stuff to change
> drastically.

I fully agree.

> Again, please consider good intention here.

This is by our code of conduct. ;-)

> > We should remember that having blends packages, blends web pages and
> > informative wiki pages are completely independent of having a defined team
> > with
> > separate VCS and mailing list. All that needs is one or more people to
> > curate
> > them.
>
> That's correct. I talked with Andreas yesterday on the debian-med bi-weekly
> call, and
> tasks for math packages should be done soonish :)

I just wanted to work on it right now ... but now I had to answer mails first!
;-)

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--