I'd like to move forward with the pandas 1.5 -> 2.1 transition reasonably soon.

Given that pandas 2.x is *not* required for Python 3.12 (but is required for Cython 3.0), should we wait for the Python 3.12 transition to be done first?

These are broken by pandas 2.x and have a possible (but untested) fix in their bug - please test and apply it: dask(?) dials influxdb-python* python-altair python-feather-format python-upsetplot seaborn tqdm* (* = this package is currently also broken for a non-pandas reason, probably Python 3.12, that I don't have a fix for)

These are broken by pandas 2.x and have no known-to-me fix:
augur cnvkit dyda emperor esda mirtop pymatgen pyranges python-anndata python-biom-format python-cooler python-nanoget python-skbio python-ulmo q2-quality-control q2-demux q2-taxa q2-types q2templates sklearn-pandas Some generic things to try are pandas.util.testing -> pandas.testing, .iteritems() -> .items(), and if one exists, a more recent upstream version.

Is this an acceptable amount of breakage or should we continue to wait? Bear in mind that if we wait too long, we may be forced into it by some transition further up the stack (e.g. a future Python or numpy) that breaks pandas 1.x.

Build logs:
https://launchpad.net/~rebecca-palmer/+archive/ubuntu/pandas2p1/+builds?build_text=&build_state=failed
https://launchpad.net/~rebecca-palmer/+archive/ubuntu/pandas2p1n/+builds?build_text=&build_state=failed
(The second is more recent, but includes fewer packages.)

Autopkgtest logs:
https://qa.debian.org/excuses.php?experimental=1&package=pandas
(Because of the Python 3.12 transition, this may currently be wrong about what is a regression and what is not.)